JBL Speakers plus Spyro Review

Sunday, November 27, 2011 jeffrey 0 Comments

A few days ago, I got invited to JBL's event where they showed their latest line of speakers available in the market today. I remember back then we had these very sturdy JBL box type speakers back then which still worked when we sold them in a bazaar. The sound quality didn't deteriorate much given the length of usage and the abuse in high volume. I was curious as to what JBL currently has to offer us consumers. Good thing I actually went because I was lucky enough to win home a brand new JBL Spyro speakers which I made a review on below. Yahoo!



JBL OnBeat
JBL OnBeat

The JBL OnBeat caught my eye first. It has a cool design and it's especially made for iPhone and iTouch. It is able to rotate portrait or landscape. What I like most is how small this speaker is. It's great for those out of town trips you want to listen to music and videos to but requires an AC outlet for it to operate. It uses Phoenix transducers technology to deliver clear and crisp sound. Included is a remote control so you can sit back and relax.


JBL OnBeat (landscape mode playing a video)


JBL OnBeat Xtreme


JBL OnBeat Xtreme (w iTouch attached)

Not to be confused with the JBL OnBeat is the JBL OnBeat Xtreme. It's a few inches larger than the JBL OnBeat and the design looks even more impressive. Similar to the JBL OnBeat, it can do portrait and landscape mode.

The great thing about this speakers is that it could dock iPod, iPhone and iPad devices. It also has built-in Bluetooth so you can do hands-free calling (at least with iPhone and iPad). When attached you can simply speak through the built-in microphone. This is perfect for my 2nd gen iTouch which doesn't have a built-in microphone.


JBL OnBeat Xtreme (w iPad attached)

Included is a JBL OnBeat Xtreme RF remote control which you can use to navigate your iPad, iPod and iPhone menus, iTunes songs, playlists, photos and videos. You can easily change tracks, system settings and more, from up to 30 feet (9 meters) in any direction.

The video being played (photo above) was set at maximum volume and it still delivered sound with minimal distortion. There's even several sound settings you can select. I like the power bass setting best. You need to hear it to believe it

JBL on Time Micro


JBL on Time Micro

Out of all the displayed speakers, the JBL on Time Micro probably had the poorest design. I just didn't think it was in the same level of all the other speakers in terms of aesthetics. Maybe it was the placement of controls, the plastic like "snooze" button or the casing or finish it had. It just didn't go well with the iTouch.

The JBL on Time Micro also acts as a radio and an alarm clock.

JBL on Air Wireless

JBL on Air Wireless

The JBL on Air Wireless has a very sleek design. Unfortunately, the design compromised its usability. The circular speaker design makes it a bit difficult to attach my iTouch. It only provided little room for me to work with in getting the iTouch into the dock which wasn't very convenient. It also took a bit of time getting used to the controls. It wasn't as easy as doing a trial and error. I would probably have to read the manual to fully understand how to operate this.

Looking into its features, it has a built-in radio and alarm clock. The LCD is also a big improvement as compared to the JBL on Time Micro.

JBL on Tour

JBL on Tour

JBL on Tour is a small, compact, ultra-portable speaker that can deliver 4 hours of playtime in one charge. It's best used for those out of town trips or small gatherings. If your familiar with X-mini, the JBL on Tour actually has the same features but performs better in terms of sound and design (at least for me).

Design wise, it looks really nice. It comes in White Glacier, Black Carbon or Red Dragon designs.

In terms of usability, the 3.5mm headphone jack can be securely hidden inside a rubber lining at the back of the speakers. No longer do you need to organize your wires again.

It also has that same feature with X-mini that could connect multiple speakers through the headphone jack as shown in the top-right photo above.

JBL Jembe

JBL Jembe

Now this is a sweet and simple entertainment speakers. It has a simple design yet usability is just right. There's a white LED power indicator on the front of the speakers as you can see on the photo above. What I do like most is the volume control. You can't see it in the photo but the volume control is located on the top of the speaker with the power LED. It's a disc that has a circular dimple (for grip) which you turn clockwise and counterclockwise to change the volume. To turn it off, you simply needed to turn it counterclockwise until you hear a slight "click" that locks the control.

JBL Duet 2

JBL Duet 2

The JBL Duet 2 would look nice beside your computer or laptop. There's also a JBL Duet 3. Only difference is the technology and size and price of course.

JBL Creature III


JBL Creature III

True to it's name, this speaker really looks like a creature from outer space. It's very cool looking. It comes in black and white design. The “capacitive” touch controls are accessible and easy to use. It delivers big sounds with it's subwoofer and satellite speakers.

JBL Spot


JBL Spot

The JBL Spot reminds me of the white robot in Wall-E. It has a dome shaped subwoofer and satellite speakers that resembles the cartoon character.


JBL Spot

Volume control on the JBL Spot is located on top of one of the speakers. The volume control is sensitive to a light tap of the finger. It was quite responsive when I tried it on their demo. The only issue I had with the volume control is that you don't know the current volume of the speaker is before you play something. For all you know, it might surprise you with a loud sound when you play your media. I wished there was a sound that would indicate what the current volume is similar to when you increase the volume in Apple laptops using the keyboard.

JBL Spyro


JBL Spyro

The JBL Spyro displayed at the event is color fuchsia. Good thing I didn't win this color. It's not the color would emasculate my manhood but because it wouldn't look good in my room. The JBL Spyro is also available in sleek black or simple white.

The design is quite similar to the JBL Spot except for the obvious difference in the satellite speakers.

JBL Spyro Review


I like the minimalist packaging of the JBL Spyro. This is one box you would be proud of carrying around the mall. I just found it a bit inconvenient that there's no handle which meant you had to carry it with both arms.

All the parts and speakers are packaged securely and neatly. Unboxing it was a fun but tiring because of all the excess plastic the speakers and wires had. I sure wish they could try to minimize on wrapping plastic. This goes the same for other electronic companies out there. I know there's a purpose but do you really have to put 2 layers of plastic?



The JBL Spyro has 2 available AC power chords. I'm not sure what the technical terms for these sockets are but I know the big socket with the 3 pins is usually used in HK and Singapore. We usually use the 2 round pins which usually requires an flat pin adapter to plug it into our standard wall socket.



The manual is quite easy to understand. All the instructions that you need are on 1 page with illustration to aid. I had no problem setting this up.



I appreciate the fact that they made the ends of the left and right speakers different to easily identify which wire goes to which hole. But I'm guessing the right wire is a multi-pin wire (not sure what it's called) because it also carries the signal for volume control. I like the how the wires look and feel like ropes that you use in wall climbing.



The back of the subwoofer hold all the holes for the satellite speakers, the AC, the audio line in. It's arrange in such a way that the wires will not overlap with each other. On the middle is a button to power the JBL Spyro and on the rightmost is the control for the subwoofer bass level.

I usually turn off all my electronics at home when not in use so placing the button at the back makes it awkward for me to reach. My solution for this is to face the subwoofer backwards. It looks OK overall except for the fact that the wiring for the right and left satellite speakers has to cross over each other.

Another concern for me is the control for the subwoofer. I don't know about you but I often tweak the control of the subwoofer depending on the media I'm playing. Similar to the power button, it's hard to reach if it's at the back. The knob control also makes it uncomfortable to turn because the left satellite wire near it is blocking it once you turn it halfway.



Similar to the JBL Spot, the volume control is operated by tapping the + and - button found on the front of the satellite speakers. I really had a hard time in getting the volume control respond to my touch. I'm not sure if it uses sensor but I was already using my thumb and sometimes it doesn't respond. My brother tried to play with the volume as well and he had the same feedback. Like I said, I wished there was a sound notification so I know that the speakers is responding to my touch.

Despite the usability problems of the JBL Spyro, the sound it produced was outstanding. The bass provided by the subwoofer was awesome for something that size and the sound was crystal clear even at maximum volume. The JBL Spyro can easily fill up sound in a large room.

Overall, I think JBL really are the best in creating speakers in terms of sound and aesthetics but they really need to think the usability more thoroughly. The JBL Spyro provides great quality sound and should look amazing with your PC/gadgets and room. If you don't mind some of the flaws in usability, you should consider buying this speaker.

For more information, log on to jbl.com or reach Axis Global Center at 27243340 or camille_tan@mailgateways.com or visit them at 20 North Road cor. 3rd Ave. Cubao, Quezon City.